outside the frame is thinking about and making art “outside the box” By exploring art and experimenting with media, paints, styles and technique

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Colourful and simple abstraction

Making art dose not have to be complex or difficult! Even simple patterns or shapes can convey all the atmosphere, interest and energy required to make any painting successful. The simplistic or childish image can hold a power and intercity of colour that goes far beyond what we might expect. Colour alone has a deep and meaningful part to play in the physiology of the human mind, invoking emotional responses in individuals and this is a fact not lost on many famous artist and painters in the modern world.  The work of artists such as Mark Rothko, Barnett Newman, Robert Motherwell, Josef Albers and Henri Matisse to name a few, all understood the value and impact that colour has in its own right.

In this particular piece I chose to explore a simple arrangement of contrasting colours, being bold and decisive I worked roughly with the oil pastels smoothing and softening it with my fingers. I developed the blending further by applying some heat from a hairdryer much to my girlfriends annoyance latter I added a some white acrylic paint to the bottom as means of creating further contrast and texture and was surprised that the acrylic paint picked up some of the colour subtly tinting the white paint as I did not expect them to mix.

Although I do not normally enjoy working with oil pastels I occasionally use them for rough compositions and colour studies  I do feel that this piece dose work quite well as the texture of the oil pastel enhances this piece effectively. please leave your valued comment and let me know what you think.


A simple abstract artwork 
#29 oil pastel and acrylic paint on paper
9 x 9 inches approx

No comments:

Post a Comment